Pistol Crossbow Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Build

3 posters

Go down

First Build Empty First Build

Post  KenH Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:27 am

Here's a couple pix of my first crossbow pistolbow build. That's a metal 50# "replacement" prod I paid $6 for. The stock is maple and assorted tropical hardwoods and is made in the style of a Malaysian matchlock pistol circa 1700. The action is a simple 'pin lock' similar to the medieval Skane lockbows. With that much leverage, the trigger is much more sensitive than any commercial pistolbow I've ever fired. After several in-construction changes it became a slurbow, firing 1/4" diameter unfletched, but metal tipped dowel bolts. Accuracy is at least as good as my commercial pistolbow

[img]First Build Carbine1[/img]

[img]First Build Carbine2[/img]

KenH

Back to top Go down

First Build Empty Re: First Build

Post  NaturalFork Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:49 am

That came out great!!! I am jealous. Thanks for posting.

NaturalFork

Back to top Go down

Post  Lobodog2 Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:50 am

Great Job KenH!! And here I thought I was a tinkerer. How long did that build take?

Lobodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  KenH Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:20 am

Thanx guys.

Actual building time? Probably 6 hours if I were to do it again. Four hours if I had a real workshop. Elapsed time from design to first shot? At least 3 months - the holidays got in the way, not to mention the vagaries of life aboard a sailboat, and a girlfriend on land, in Florida...

My next pistol bow will be a 12" loose steel laminate bow made from a 5 ft length 1/32" spring steel that I got for $7. The combined leaves only has a draw weight of about 20#, but that' perfect for an indoor shooting gallery. The tiller is based on a 17th century muzzle loading pistol stock.

I'm also working on a full-size 100+ pound draw loose laminate bow 28" long, made from a 6 ft length of black fiberglass chain-link fence tension bar. Like the build above the tiller is going to be based on a 16-17th century matchlock stock.

KenH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum